Sunday, January 19, 2020

Review: disappear. - momentum. CD

I am still one of those people who prefer physical releases, even if I do appreciate the convenience of sites like Bandcamp, which has proven to be a great resource for discovering new hardcore bands... Fort Wayne, IN's disappear. popped up on my Bandcamp feed recently and I enjoyed what I heard, so much so that I ordered their CD the same day.

The band lists bands like Despair, Integrity, Turmoil and Foundation among their influences. Of those bands, Turmoil and Foundation are closest to disappear.'s sound in my opinion, most obviously in a song like 'Cerebrum Carcerum', but thankfully without sounding like copycats. The sound of disappear. can only be described as devastating and crushing. There are elements of crust-core with its bulldozer riffs and sound (check 'Reality TV?' and 'Conveyor'), as well as more melodic influences and lead guitars as in 'The Antagonist'. At the same time, with all these different influences they managed to create a coherent sound. The gruff, angry vocals help bring it all together, adding a bleak edge to their sound that is complimented by the lyrics. They cover a range of topics such as animal rights, police brutality, institutionalized racism and people being made numb and complacent by the media. In short, disappear. plays ugly but real music. And that is just fine by me!

Overall, 'momentum.' is a great debut album by a still very young band, having only started in 2018. It is also an album that is growing more and more on me, it might have even made it into my best of 2019 list if I had discovered it sooner, that's how much I enjoy it. Here's to disappear., and let's hope they stick around long enough for a follow-up.

1 comment:

Eyeovthestorm said...

Thanks so much! -Jared disappear.