Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review: Lay It On The Line - A Prelude To The Process EP

London, UK's Lay It On The Line was formed in spring 2012 with ex-members of Hang The Bastard and Phinius Gage, and has since been carving out a name for themselves. If you hadn't guessed from the circle logo on the cover, the Process from the EP's title refers to the Process Church of the Last Judgement, also the bands inspiration for the lyrics on this EP. I wouldn't necessarily put LIOTL's sound under the Holy Terror banner tho.

The band's sound lies somewhere between the rough and gritty hardcore punk sound of bands like Tragedy and a more modern hardcore sound like The Carrier. Defunct and IMHO underrated UK band Burning The Prospect also came to my mind. It's an interesting mix that also works well because of the vocals, which fit the range of influences and sounds well.

I wasn't aware of this band until this release, so I also checked out their previous releases. 'A Prelude..' continues in the direction set by their previous material but also has a darker and more focused sound. I am really into it, and I'm looking forward to their upcoming full-length album. The one thing I feel is lacking somewhat is that the production is a bit thin, I feel their sound could use a bit of extra heaviness. But it's a minor complaint, as I said I am digging this band a lot. Check it out!

No comments: